SUPER DELICIOUS PALEO CHOCOLATE LOG GLUTEN FREE
Rated 4.3 stars by 3 users
Gluten Free Chocolate Log
Hunter Gatherer Gourmet
1 box HGG chocolate baking mix
3 eggs separated
1/2 tsp vanilla
25g of oil or melted butter
1/2 cup water
50g butter or oil
140g dark chocolate broken into squares
284ml double cream or thick coconut cream
200g xylitol icing sugar or organic icing sugar, sifted
approx 1 cup raspberries fresh or frozen (optional)
4 tbl Frangelico or liqueur of your choice (optional)
FILLING & ICING
- Preheat the oven to 200˚C convection oven
- Beat the egg yolks with vanilla till pale and as thick and yellow as you can get it. About 10 min.
- Meanwhile beat the egg whites till stiff peaks
- Fold through the oil/butter and water into the egg yolk mix then fold in the egg whites.
- Carefully fold in the HGG chocolate baking mix
- Pour the mixture into a lined 20 × 30cm sponge roll tin (I used a baking tray as I didn’t have a tin) and bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until the cake springs back when lightly touched.
- Cool in the pan for about 3 minutes.
- Lay out a damp tea towel on the bench, dusted with icing sugar
- Carefully turn the pan over allowing the cake to rest now on the prepared tea towel. Remove the pan and gently peel off the parchment paper
- Roll up the cake, starting with the short side. I actually find it easier to roll it with the towel as well, although some advise to peel the towel as you roll. Either way it’s fine.
- Cool completely.
- In the meantime make the filling.
- To make the icing, melt the butter/oil and chocolate together in a bowl over a pan of hot water. Take from the heat and stir in 5 tbsp cream. Beat in the icing sugar until smooth. Whisk the remaining cream until it holds its shape. Unravel the cake, spread the cream over the top, scatter over raspberries, defrost if using frozen, then carefully roll up again into a log.
- Spread the icing over the log (don’t cover the ends), then use a fork to mark the icing to give the effect of tree bark
- And you are done! You can make this ahead of time and store in the fridge. Super delicious and pretty darn easy. No one will know its not a high high octane log.